Classical Guitar Lessons
Welcome to Guitar Lessons at Jim Beaver’s School of Music!
Here at JBSOM, guitar lessons incorporate a variety of methods and materials.
Areas of Study include:
- Sight Reading
- Tablature Reading
- Pentatonic Scales
- Diatonic Major and Minor Scales
- Modes and altered Scales
- Diatonic Chord Scales
- Right hand techniques ranging from pick to fingerstyle
- Proper left hand technique
- Critical Listening
- Operation of equipment, including capos, slides, amplifiers, and various effects for electronically capable instruments
- Their Favorite Tunes!
Some of the materials used in guitar lessons include method books and focus books from publishers such as Hal Leonard, Mel Bay, and many more.
Beginning Acoustic and Electric Guitar Students will need the following to get started:
- Hal Leonard Guitar Method (Greg Koch Will Schmidt) (book 1 with accompanying CD)
- Guitar For Kids (Hal Leonard – for ages 8 and younger)
- How to Play Guitar in Every Key (Howard Wallach, Santorella Publications)
- Thin and Medium gauge Guitar picks
- Instrument (we have a limited amount available for intro lessons)
- Music Stand
- Guitar Strap
It is a common misconception that a student must learn to play the Acoustic Guitar prior to taking electric guitar lessons. While there are pros and cons to starting with both, it is important to factor the interests of the student into the equation when searching for an instrument. Unsure what to buy? Contact us, we can steer you in the right direction!
It is important to understand that success with guitar lessons requires consistent practicing. We recommend students factor into their schedule a 30 minute practice routine, created by the instructor each week, no less than 5 days per week.
The instructor may request the presence of a student’s parent(s) during lessons to equip them with information to help the student practice effectively.
Please see our Policy Agreement for information about enrollment terms and lesson cancellation.
We offer guitar lessons to the Hendersonville, Fletcher, Arden, Tryon, Columbus, Mills River, Asheville, Saluda, and the greater WNC area.
HOME PAGE: http://jimbeaversschoolofmusic.com